Austin Total Healthcare will help you recover from auto accident injuries through medical, chiropractic and physical therapy care, including injuries which, if left untreated, can turn into long-term problems. Injuries resulting from auto accidents can range from minor abrasions to more severe injuries like whiplash and acute low back pain.
Studies show that most of us will be in an auto accident at some point in our lives.
The following is important information to remember if you are involved in an auto accident:
- At the accident scene, stay at the accident scene and call the police, even if no injuries are visible. Get names and addresses of all witnesses, make notes on exactly what caused the accident and take photos if possible.
- Seek medical treatment as soon as possible. If there is a chance you may be seriously hurt, you should go to the Emergency room at your local hospital. There they can rule out fractures and life threatening injuries.
- Call Austin Total Healthcare, 512-447-9675, if you are experiencing pain and discomfort from your auto injury for a complete evaluation. If left untreated, injuries from auto accidents can lead to chronic problems like headaches, neck pain, numbness and tingling, dizziness, insomnia, low back pain, sciatica and a whole host of other problems. You do not need to wait for insurance matters to be sorted out to begin treatment. We know how important it is to begin treatments as soon as possible.
- Contact your insurance company. Most auto insurance companies have what is called Med Pay. This means that your bills will be paid up to 100% up to a certain imit. If the accident was not your fault. The other party’s auto insurance should cover your health care expenses. Our office is experienced in working with insurance companies and will contact them for you and file any paperwork that is needed.
- Do not settle with an insurance company before your injury is fully resolved. If you do settle, you will be completely on your own and may have to pay out of pocket expenses for your care and treatments.
- At Austin Total Healthcare, we recognize that the legal aspects of auto accidents can be overwhelming and frightening. We will do our best to help you through this difficult time. We have legal professionals that we work closely with and can provide you with a referral to their offices.
We have found that many people involved in an auto accident that was their fault never get treatment. This tends to be due to the fear that their insurance will go up after a claim is filed. Your PIP (Personal Injury Protection) is why you have auto insurance in the first place. Many insurance companies will not raise your rates after 1 or even 2 accidents in the same year.
Personal Injury Protection (PIP)
The Texas Department of Insurance requires automobile insurance carriers in our state to issue all automobile policies it writes at least $2500 worth of coverage and you have this coverage unless you reject it in writing. Most people are unaware of this coverage or even know what it is and therefore very few people use it. You end up paying for coverage that they don’t inform you about and you’re entitled to.
Why? Insurance is not understood and most people rely on their agent and claims adjusters to advise them on what to do after an accident. Insurance is a multi-billion dollar industry and are in business to make money. They keep their costs down, less payout, more profits and bonuses at the end of the year. Good for them and not for you.
What is PIP?
PIP is no fault coverage similar to health insurance but on your auto policy for your injuries and your passengers injuries. This coverage is available regardless who is at fault. Yes, you can be the cause of the accident and you will still be covered. There’s no deductible and no co-payment. There is other separate coverage that will cover the other party if you were at fault. If you do not have PIP then you could still be covered if you were in an accident in another state besides Texas. You may also be covered if you were hit in a crosswalk by a car or on a bicycle or borrowing someone else’s car.
What will a claim do to my insurance rates and policy renewal?
Under section 5.7016 of the Texas insurance code, automobile insurance carriers cannot non-renew you for filing one PIP claim in a 12 month period. Also, it is unlikely that they would raise your rates for a sole PIP claim.
Why doesn’t the other guy’s insurance pay for my medical expenses and why should I use my insurance?
Medical treatment is expensive and you are liable for the costs. There is a chance that the other party may never pay for your medical expenses leaving you a financial burden. PIP gives you peace of mind that your medical bills are covered. If you use your health insurance, you may have to pay a deductible and co-pays to your doctor and if the health insurance finds out that you were in an accident they could request to be reimbursed. Some people get referred to a medical provider by their attorney and the medical provider agrees to be paid months or even years later. Since there are a limited number of medical providers who agree to this arrangement, your choice and quality of healthcare may be limited. The answer is to use your PIP coverage so you will not have to pay for medical expenses out of your pocket and get the best possible healthcare treatment available for you and your family’s injuries caused by the accident.